Quebec American Kestrel Nest Box Program
Pour le français s'il vous plaît cliquez ici.
The Quebec American Kestrel Nest Box Program is a province wide program with 100 kestrel boxes that has the following goals:
1) provide safe and secure nesting sites for kestrels particularly in areas with a mix of ranching and farming. Ideally this would help their populations stabilize or even begin to recover, at least in localized areas.
2) provide long term trends of kestrel nest box use at the provincial, regional and local levels.
3) engage landowners and the public using citizen scientists to monitor and maintain the kestrel nest boxes.
4) band chicks and adults when possible.
5) provide opportunities for other kestrel biologists to conduct research.
6) provide feather samples for the 2019 summer as part of the continent wide genoscape project.
Landowners specific information can be found on the "Landowner" webpage:
Monitoring specific information (which many landowners would also be involved in) can be found on the "Citizen Scientists" webpage:
Detailed information on kestrels and their nest box placement can be found on the "American Kestrels" webpage:
American Kestrel Photo Gallery
The plan for the Quebec program is to install boxes throughout most of the province by spring for use by kestrels starting in the summer of 2019. The nest boxes will be mailed to the volunteers to then install. Once all of the boxes are installed I will not have the funds to add more boxes but if additional people wanted to be included in the program they can purchase the boxes at cost with the understanding the information from the boxes will be submitted to the program.
Detailed information on kestrel nest box installation related guidelines is found in the "American Kestrels" sub-tab under the "Wildlife Boxes" tab along the top menu bar. Information for landowners can be found under the "landowners" sub-tab of the kestrel program. Information for monitors (Citizen Scientists) of the nest boxes (which may include landowners) is found under the "Citizen Scientists" sub-tab of the kestrel program.
The following organization provided funds for the kestrel nest boxes for the province wide program.
Organizations that have contributed gifts in kind, discounts, materials or other aspects of the program.
Peace River, AB Location